Rebel Speech Team Advances to Finals

Mikayla Watkins, Editor

The Rebel Speech Team is on its way to finals! The following students are advancing to the Missouri East Speech Association finals in January: in Duet Acting, Michael Cantrell and Haley Francis; in Prose Reading, Michael Cantrell, Haley Francis,Willis King, and Mikayla Watkins; in Storytelling, Michael Cantrell and Haley Francis; in Poetry Reading, Mikayla Watkins; in Humorous Interpretation, Michael Cantrell; in Radio Speaking, Willis King; and in Public Forum Debate, Andrew Wyrick and Mikayla Watkins.

The members of the Rebel Speech Team have been working hard to advance in their events.

“I practice for an event by first, doing what I have learned in my years of Competitive Speech, getting critique from Mr. Weiss. After that, I practice again and again until the competition,” Haley Francis explains her process of preparing for finals.

It has been a great season so far, with many individual victories and the Rebel Speech Team placing second in the Sweepstakes category at the Jackson Invitational on November 16, 2017.

Competing against others is fun, but Haley Francis explains that speech and debate is about more than just the competition, “I like being a part of speech team because it greatly improved my speaking skills, it is so much fun, and it creates bonds that last a lifetime.”

If you would like to learn more or to become a part of the Rebel Speech Team, see Mr. Weiss or contact him at [email protected]