National Walkout Day

Mikayla Watkins, Editor

On National Walkout Day, Central High School chose to take a different path than other high schools in the country.

Instead of walking out in a peaceful protest, students met with Mr. Coleman, Mr. Bradley, and Officer Bentley in the auditorium to discuss the new safety measures being put into effect and were given the opportunity to voice their own opinions regarding bullying, guns, and safety.

Juniors and seniors met during first hour; freshmen and sophomores met during the RAP period.

The previous week, Mr. Coleman met with the Student Advisory Committee and a group of ten students who had expressed interest in helping formulate new ideas to make our school safer. During the safety meeting on Wednesday (National Walkout Day), Mr. Coleman shared these ideas with the students.

Some of the new institutions include making the library door unavailable for use, hiring a security officer, installing a buzzer system, keeping all doors locked and stationing teachers at exits during lunch hours, and holding more intruder drills.

Several students added their input during these meetings. Many students spoke about bullying and urged their peers to report it when it happens. Some students asked their fellow classmates not to make jokes about suicide and homicide.

Senior Blake Braswell suggested that instead of holding a walkout, we have a 17-second moment of silence. Mr. Coleman liked this idea, so at 10:00 am the same day, Central High School held a moment of silence in honor of the Parkland shooting victims.

“I think [listening to the opinions of students is] the more productive way,” Superintendent Desi Mayberry stated to the Daily Journal. “We like to think that we’re the experts and we know it all, but sometimes the kids — the ones who are in it every day — have suggestions that we would never think of.”