Movie Review of Big Hero 6

Savannah Runyon, Staff Writer

Marvel and Disney meet again to make a new animated film, Big Hero 6. The adventure takes place in a futuristic world, in a city called San Fransokyo. Here we meet the protagonist, Hiro Hamada. After graduating from high school at 14 years old, he spends his time bot fighting over using his knowledge for college. After a tragic loss, Hiro becomes close friends with a nurse robot named Baymax, who was created and programmed by Hiro’s older brother. He then creates a super group dubbed “Big Hero 6” with Baymax and a group of science whizzes in an attempt to come to terms with the tragic loss of a loved one.

Personally, I was very excited to see this film. Ever since I saw the previews while watching Maleficent in theaters, I couldn’t wait. I love both comic adventures and animated movies so it was the best of both worlds for me. It also seemed different from other animated kid movies, like one that you didn’t have to be in grade school to be able to enjoy.

On opening night I caught the night show which was in 3-D. I was skeptical because sometimes 3-D movies are not exactly my forte, but this one did not disappoint. It surpassed my expectations that I had originally had. It made me laugh, cry, and smile.

The jokes, of course, had a childish side to them, but they weren’t dry or overused. The main robot, Baymax, was extremely lovable. There’s no way a human being could leave that theater not wanting their own Baymax for themselves. One of my favorite elements was the lack of romantic interests; this movie mainly focuses around the importance of amazing family and friends. It sent a great message to everyone, no matter what age group.

I think everyone should see this movie. It’s worth every dime you spend on it, and you’ll probably spend even more seeing it a second time. Big Hero 6 is probably the best animated film of 2014.