The Centralian

What Happened to Monday Movie Review

Key Robinson, Staff

I recently watched the movie What Happened on Monday. This is a Netflix Original and I absolutely loved it. It’s about a world where overpopulation is a huge problem so the government creates a law where families can only have one child. There isn’t enough food to feed everyone so the government takes siblings and puts them to “sleep” till there is a “better world.”

In the movie, a set of identical septuplets is raised by their grandfather and are taught that they must not be caught by the government or they will be put to sleep. They are raised in an apartment and given the names Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. They are raised to live under the single identity of Karen Settman. Each sibling is allowed to leave the house on the corresponding day to her name and when they arrive back home they have meeting about the day. During this meeting they must give every detail of their day to the siblings.

The movie advances from their childhood to adulthood which is about 30 years. Monday leaves like normal and at the end of the day when it’s time for the meeting she doesn’t return home. The rest of the six siblings must band together and figure out what happened to Monday. Slowly, day by day, more go missing. If you enjoy movies with lots of plot twists and a trick ending, I highly recommend this movie. This movie is full of action, mystery and adventure.

My favorite part of this movie is how the siblings band together and make sacrifices to save each other. There wasn’t really a part I didn’t enjoy, I think it was overall a great movie. My rating of this movie would be four of out five stars. If you are interested in figuring out what happened to Monday and the rest of the siblings watch What Happened to Monday on Netflix.