Breaking Boundaries: Stereotypes

Elliana Hughes, Guest Writer

Stereotypes, they’re a funny thing. You see, we are put into these boxes, but we don’t fit into them. And they either make us or break us.

But what do I know? I’m just a sophomore in high school. But I’m smarter than you give me credit for. But that makes me a “nerd” by society’s standard. Yes, I like Star Wars and yes, I like reading. Oh, wait, that makes me a “bookworm” too.

In fact, my nickname is Bookworm. But reading is how I escape reality. See, people don’t realize I go through stuff too. But I’m the “girl who never stopped smiling,” because I want everybody to be nice to me. But not everybody is nice back. So I get brash, or rude for those of you who need a definition just because I use “big” words. But then that makes me a seem like a “know-it-all” when in reality I’m sick and tired of using the same words over and over again.

Anyway, back to stereotypes. Imagine having these boxes to use as a representation of the boxes I have been put in. So we have “daughter”, “sister”, “friend”, “bookworm”, um who put “singer” up here? Cali, was it you? Anyway, and “babysitter.” So let’s step into the box with the label “daughter” on it. I was born on July 8th, 2003, to Samantha Vaughn and Joe Hughes. My mom was 17 and my dad was 24.

Okay, easy enough. Let’s step into the box with the label “sister” on it. My brother was born on October 10th, 2006. My step sister was born on December 15th, 2003. My other sister was born on May 10th, 2012. And my youngest sister was born on July 12, 2016.

Anyway on to the next box. Ah, “friend.” I have plenty of friends. They are there for me when I need them. Oh wait, it’s the other way around. I give too much and get so little in return. I almost lost my dad! But they didn’t know that until now.

You see, I was too scared to let anybody in. That they would make fun of me for having problems.

And that’s why I’m a bookworm. It helps me escape reality. I can be someone else for a while. I can have someone else’s problems for a while. But at the end when the story ends, your problems are still there and reality jack slaps you.

But that’s why music helps too. You can sing or strum your problems away. So you can consider me all these things, but I’m breaking the stereotype quota.