The Centralian

Women History Month

Key Robinson, Staff

“From the lives of young, immigrant women who worked the textile mills at Lowell National Historical Park to those of the female shipyard workers who were essential to the home front during World War II at Rosie the Riveter/World War II Home Front National Historic Park, women’s history can be found at every park. If you want to understand our nation’s history, explore the remarkable legacies of American women” (NPS.gov).

There are many remarkable women who have helped women’s rights advance. One of the many is Marie Equi she was born in 1872 in New Bedford. Her parents are John Aque and Sarah Mullins Aque. She had at least 6 brothers and sisters, some dying before reaching adulthood. Marie went on to become a physician and activist. Next, we have Daisy Bates, an African American civil rights activist and newspaper publisher. Through her newspaper, Bates reported the battle to end segregation in Arkansas. For her amazing career in social activism, we celebrate her as an American hero. Last we have Mary Golda Ross was the first Native American woman to be a professional engineer. In 1952, she was one of the many founding members of Lockheed’s secret Advanced Development Program, Skunk Works. The work she did there still remains classified.

Since the beginning, women have been fighting for rights and in some countries still, are. Women are strong and intelligent and never give up on what they stand for. Like Maya Angelou once said, “We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated”.