Homecoming: From Pajama Day to the Winning Score

From left: Allison DePriest escorted by Blake Nephew, Holly Johnson escorted by Jordan Elser, Kelsey Chapman escorted by Dakota Duck, Alex Huff escorted by Sam Holloway, Abi Kopp escorted by Keldon Holmes.

Michaela Hulsey, Staff Writer

Excitement filled the air as Homecoming week approached. Students ditched their everyday attire and dressed up for the spirit week themes. On Monday, students got right out of bed and came to school in their pajamas with bad hair. Tuesday, everyone came in twos and brought out their nerdy side. Wednesday, the elderly filled the hall as students dressed up as their favorite old person. Thursday, the movies came to life as movie characters walked the halls. On, Friday students showed their school spirit by dressing in red, white, and blue.

At the end of the week, the percentages of student participation in spirit week were calculated. The results from week were as follows: in first place was the juniors with 32%, second place was the seniors with 29%, placing third were the sophomores with 28%, and in last place were the freshmen with 26%.

Along with the spirit week competition, the classes also competed in a float building competition. The results from the float building were as follows: in first place were the freshman with the theme Finding Nemo, Second place were the seniors with the theme The Wizard of Oz, Third place were the sophomores with the theme of The Hunger Games, and in fourth place were the juniors with the theme of The Longest Yard.

The Homecoming candidates also took part in the parade by decorating cars to enter into a competition. The results of the car decorating competition are as follows: first place was Holly Johnson with the Theme of Jaws, second place was Alex Huff with the Theme The Field of Dreams, and third place was Annie Agnew with the theme The Water Boy.

The Homecoming coronation took place that evening. There were seventeen senior candidates and three class participants. The student body voted on Wednesday of that week for the top five candidates and the football team voted Friday night for the queen. Kelsey Chapman was crowned the 2012 Homecoming queen. There were also four runners up that received crowns that night. Allison Depriest got fourth runner-up, Abi Kopp received third runner-up, Holly Johnson got second runner-up and Alex Huff received first runner-up.

The heel prints from the candidate were soon gone and replaced with cleat prints as the Central football team gave the fans a homecoming game to remember.  The team defeated the number one team in class two, the Maplewood Blue Devils for an outstanding homecoming win.

With no score in the first quarter, both teams were eager to score. The Rebels were the first to cross into the end zone. A pass from Hunter Courtois to Daniel Marler moved the Rebels down the field, and then Derek Mitchell ran the ball in for the touchdown. Jon Comfort successfully completed the kick for the extra point, changing the score to 7 to 0.

The next play was also in favor of the Rebels. A kick-off by Jon Comfort bounced off of the leg of a Maplewood player as Derek Mitchell pounced on the loose ball, putting the Rebels in control of the ball.

Later in the quarter, the Blue Devils came back with an attempt to score a touchdown, but they fell short when a holding penalty was called, taking the Blue Devils back out of the end zone and keeping them from scoring.

The superb Rebel defense kept the Blue Devils from scoring for the rest of the game and bringing in a win for the Rebels. Petey Bryan had an excellent game with multiple quarterback sacks throughout the game. Many other defensive players had a good game as well.

Congratulations to all of the Central football players and Homecoming Candidates for a great Homecoming and giving the fans a lot to cheer about!