Season of Marching

Season of Marching

Tori Metcalf, Staff Writer

Marching Band season started at the beginning of August even though school wouldn’t start for a couple of weeks. The band began frantically working on music, drills, and just learning the basic fundamentals of marching. After a week of marching in the hot sun in the mornings, and learning the music in the afternoons, the band took a small break and went to Six Flags.

The first full week of school started with everyone’s favorite thing: early morning band. Early morning is when every band member has to be at school, and ready to go out and march by 7 AM. This is the time that they learn and finalize the music and the drill.

In mid-September it was time to compete. The band received second place in Class 3A with outstanding visuals at the Farmington Marching Invitational. After the band had their first competition of the year, they had a new idea of what needed to be improved on before the next one.

On October 13, the band went to Charleston to compete and again took second place in their class and the Outstanding Marching caption award. The band enjoyed “throwed rolls” at Lamberts afterwards to celebrate their hard work.

Probably the biggest event of the year was the 27th Annual Rebel Invitational. CHS hosted 20 bands for preliminary and finals competition. The band began the day by performing their show in exhibition. Each CHS band student was assigned a job for the day to help out. The jobs ranged from concessions workers to trash collection to escorting visiting bands to assisting judges. At 9:00 pm the final awards were presented and then clean up began.

The season will end with the Ste. Genevieve Marching Competition.

“This year was very exciting with all the different competitions, trips, and practices we had. We achieved all the greatness by using focus and effort–as Mr. Glore would say,” explained Kaitlyn Thomas.