Do Students get Enough Sleep?

Kyle Currington, Staff Writer

Most teens do not get an appropriate amount of sleep. Instead of skipping out on their favorite TV shows or logging off social networks, most teens sacrifice sleep instead.

Sleep deprivation can cause drowsiness, limit students’ ability to learn and listen, and can cause them to forget important things like due dates for assignments. It can also cause breakouts and cause people to be less tolerant to others. Driving while drowsy can be equivalent to driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.8%, which is illegal in most states.

To prevent sleep deprivation, teens should not eat chocolate or drink caffeine for a few hours before going to sleep. This can help them to get to sleep quicker and won’t change the biological alarm clock. Also, bedrooms should be kept  dark and cool, but also should allow light to come in, as a signal for the body to wake up  in the morning. Doing the same thing every night before bed, will teach your body that it’s time for bed. For example, taking a bath or shower every night can be a signal to your body that it’s time to go to sleep.

Teens should get up at roughly the same time every morning, including on the weekends. This will help set your biological alarm clock and make it easier to wake up after a few weeks. You should avoid staying up late at night and be sure to get outside during daylight hours to keep your body in check. Also, you should turn off your electronics at least thirty minutes before bed. The light from your devices can distract you and cause you to toss and turn. Other good ways to have better sleeping habits include exercising, avoiding drugs and alcohol, and avoiding caffeine before bed.