Ranch Provides Second Chance for Horses

Makayla Bowman, Staff Writer

Renaissance means “rebirth” and that’s what this place is all about. The Renaissance Rescue Ranch for horses is a place of second chances and love for any horse needing a home. This is a place to let these horses know they are still very much cared for and loved.

The rescue is a nonprofit organization and was founded in 2010. The ranch lies on 75 acres of land and has about 68 horses which are primarily thoroughbred race horses. These horses come from race tracks all around the country.

“Our first horse was Spike, an ex-show jumper, who is 28 years old and was donated to the ranch in 2006,” says Barb, founder of the ranch.

Barb says the biggest goal for the ranch is to get others to adopt horses. It is a big deal, though, that these horses make it into a good home and are well taken care of as they deserve. Horses can be adopted out for anywhere from $300 to $1,000. You could buy a horse for the amount you might spend to buy a prom dress or tux!

According to Barb, Central High School student, Summer Bowman, age 16, is one of the prime examples of a volunteer at the ranch and is also fostering Jimmy. Jimmy is very much cared for and loved by Summer. She spends all of her free time out at the ranch and goes out there almost every day after school and on the weekends. She stays for nearly four hours each day.

Summer said, “The volunteers all work really hard to keep the horses healthy and they all care a lot. We could use more volunteers, though. Also, I’d love to see the horses get adopted because they are all very loving and sweet.”

Another Central High School student, Hannah Curdt, age 15, also volunteers at the ranch. She says, “It’s a really fun place to volunteer and I think it’s really sweet that Barb rescues the horses.”

The ranch operates with volunteers. Ages of the volunteer’s ranges from 10 to 80; you can be nearly any age to volunteer. Without volunteers the ranch wouldn’t work, but they also receive donations that are tax deductible since the ranch is a non-profit organization.

The ranch could use more volunteers because of the cold weather and how it affects the horses. It takes a lot of effort to tend to the horses needs and Renaissance Rance can’t do this with only a few volunteers. In the winter some volunteers stop going to the ranch because it is chilly outside.

Renaissance Ranch is also a great place to have some fun. They do private tours by appointment, parties and a lot of special events. They give people the chance to let them do what they enjoy and give them some happiness. At the ranch they also have private appointments for people who are handicapped or disabled.

Barb says that when they have adults and children who are ill, handicapped, or disabled come to the ranch, it’s like therapy for them. It makes them happy that they get to be around things they usually are not able to experience on a day-to-day basis.

For more information on how to volunteer or make a donation to the ranch go online at renaissancerescue.com or call 573-479-8858.