DECA Students Take a “W” at Districts

DECA winners pose for group picture

Emily French, Staff

With hard work, dedication, and determination, some of our own Central students took the big “W” at the DECA district competition last week. DECA members participated in various categories from Finance to Marketing Principles. Faced with overwhelming circumstances, the students did their best, and it was a hard-earned success.

Each category had a different set of tasks. Role plays included preparation time ranging from ten to thirty minutes. Each individual or group participating in this specific type of event was required to take a one hundred question exam and have a face-to-face meeting with a judge. Following the meeting, the judge would ask questions referring to the scenario the competitor received.

Seniors Aaron Brown, Sean Reeves, and Garrett Winkler took 1st place in Sports and Entertainment Promotion Planning and will advance to the state round next month in Kansas City.

These students were required to not only take the exam but were given an amount of time to create a project involving financial planning, marketing decisions, and knowledge of sports and entertainment. They also requested that senior, Amber Francis, help them with a video presentation showcasing their topic. They set up their presentation and were reviewed by a judge.

“I’m ecstatic to go to state; it will be a great opportunity,” says senior Aaron Brown.

Junior Katherine Galvan took part in a different type of event. She was expected to write an essay about leadership and how it applies to her life. Judges read the essays and had a follow-up meeting with each of the writers.

There are many types of activities in which students can be involved. These events range from different subjects such as fashion, sports, and even restaurant/food marketing.

Amber Francis, senior did a presentation about human trafficking and took second place in Public Service Announcements. Myranda Fritchley, senior did a presentation/project about addicted newborns and took first place in Community Service Project. Junior Sydney Hamilton did a roleplay and took first place in Food Marketing Services.