The Centralian

New NHS Members Inducted

Back to Article
Back to Article

New NHS Members Inducted

Jenna Ashley, Staff

Central High School has many opportunities to help students stand out including sports and clubs. NHS is one of these, but it’s more than that. National Honor Society, also known as NHS is the nation’s organization established to recognize outstanding high school students.

More than just an honor roll, NHS recognizes those students who have shown excellence in the area of scholarships, service, leadership, athletic abilities, and character. This organization began in 1921. Today is it estimated that more than one million students engage in National Honor Society activities.

NHS chapters are found in all 50 states, and many locations nationwide. The chapter membership not only recognizes students for their accomplishments, but pushes them to grow through active involvement in school activities and community service.

At CHS, the National Honor Society induction took place on September 11, recognizing juniors and seniors who stand out not only academically, but also in character and citizenship. The induction gives the school opportunities to recognize the student in front of their family/and or friends, and become an official member of National Honor Society.

One unique thing that the CHS chapter of NHS does at the induction is recognizing teachers who have impacted the new inductees. Each inductee personally invites up to three teachers from any grade who are special or inspirational to them. The students may not realize how much teachers appreciate the personal invitations.

Mrs. Fletcher said, “Being invited personally to the NHS induction ceremony is a really special thing. Sometimes you don’t realize as a teacher that you really are making a difference!”